FoundryVTT is a new-to-market virtual tabletop for playing RPGs. It has been in production for a long time now, over in Patreon. It will get out of beta this month, releasing on May 22, 2020.
I have a strong dislike of Roll20, so I preordered Foundry, spun up a server, and got to putting it through its paces.
How to run Fate in Foundry
While there is a Fate system in development for Foundry, it isn’t ready for use yet. For my game, I used the generic default gaming system—”World-building”.
Doing skills this way is not a requirement. I did it this way as a quality-of-life improvement for my players. (And I wanted to dive into Foundry’s API.) Players can simply enter in dice rolls by hand using the syntax
/r 4df+4 instead.
List of modules used
There is a wealth of modules for Foundry, allowing you to customize it to your preferences. I’m still getting the lay of the land, but here are the modules I’m using:
- Bubble Rolls—Displays Actor rolls in its token Chat Bubble
- Deselection—Lets the players and GM deselect tokens by clicking anywhere on the map.
- The Furnace—a collection of quality-of-life tools.
- Permission Viewer—tell at a glad who has access to what.
- Pings and Popout!—to make playing a little easier.
What does your Foundry setup look like?
I’m curious to learn how everyone else is using Foundry. Send me a message at @amazingrando.